Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

I needed a facial. And I went to Belo!

Yes, I’m one of *those* — people who avoid going to Belo because it seemed too showbiz, too assembly line. But it was near, and a friend promised to accompany.

So I got the most basic facial in the list (glycolic whatever). It was fast. Too fast, actually. I don’t think it took more than 20 minutes. Either my skin didn’t have any problems, or the job wasn’t thorough. I have a feeling it’s a little of both, as I could still see blackheads on my nose. Not too happy about this.

After the facial, I was asked to see their doctor. As others have warned me, they will try to sell me their products. True enough, “Obagi” appeared in my prescription for a whopping 20k.

I bluntly said I’m not comfortable with purchasing house derma creams, and I’m pretty happy with the ones I’m using. However, I did say I was interested in botox for my underarms (which sadly costs almost as much).

So there and then, I was prepped for my underarm botox. The skin anesthesia took around 30 minutes to settle in. The actual injecting of the botox itself was less than 10 minutes. I was expecting pain, but there was none.

Again, I was prescribed to purchase Belo creams. Again, I declined.

Although I was very disappointed with their facial, I think I’ll be coming back again to try their other services (Hair removal? Thermage? Fractional CO2?). Hopefully my experience would be better.

Update as of Apr 18: I’m pretty satisfied with the underarm botox. I don’t sweat as much anymore. I am aware however that botox has to be injected every 6 months. Doing the computation, it’s basically a P2,500 monthly investment. For someone who suffered have embarrassing sweat glands, I think that’s worth it.

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

Our dog, Booger, used to have a terrible separation anxiety. Leaving for work was a nightmare — it included a lot of scratching, barking, crying, vomiting, and chewing on the doors.

Nowadays, everything is a breeze. 99% of the time, we can now leave peacefully for work.

How were we able to do it?

  1. We pretended to leave for short periods of time. This is to let him know that his humans *will* come back. We would leave for 1 minute, 3 mins, 5 mins, until we were able to leave him for almost 15 minutes without incident.
  2. Around 30 minutes before we need to leave for work, we lessen the excitement around the house. We keep a calm demeanor. We don’t even acknowledge or look at the dog. We also don’t give him treats or anything which will excite him.
  3. We stopped “tricking” him. Previously, we would wait until he’s preoccupied and them hurry out of the door when he wasn’t looking. We realized later on this actually worsens his separation anxiety.
I sincerely hope these tips would help you. I know it’s not easy leaving your dog behind for 8 to 10 hours, most especially a sad and crying dog at that. 


Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

It’s 448pm Philippine time. 1248am San Francisco time. I am inside the plane, en route to Manila. The lights are turned off, but here I am trying to stay awake. Or at least until 6pm Manila time.

It usually takes me 4 to 6 days to adjust to the timezone on the other side of the world, and this time, I vowed to conquer jet lag once and for all. There were already too many trips that could’ve been more fruitful if I had immediately adapted to the timezone.

I decided it’s easier to avoid jet lag than to cure it. So here I am, trying to adjust to my destination’s timezone as soon as I got on on the plane. I am awake, while the rest of the passengers have already reclined their seats to sleep.

Let’s hope this works.

Update: I highly recommend this. It worked perfectly!

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

This is a letter I sent to St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig City. SLMC has acknowledged receipt of letter, yet there is no proposed action as of this writing.

I’m very concerned that the cashier in your Pathology department saved my credit card information in your customer information database.

The information I saw the cashier enter in her computer are the following:

  • Credit card #
  • Name on credit card
  • Expiration date

These details are considered confidential, and pose security risk to credit holders. It is also unnecessary in processing of payment.

May I request SLMC to reconsider this practice, as I have already been a victim of onlinecredit card fraud, and am very concerned that a known establishment as SLMC is employing this practice?

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

It was a barely audible “pop.: And another one. I sleepily asked my husband to look at the source of the pop. He stood up, went outside, and then started shouting. There was a fire in the guest bedroom.

He grabbed the fire extinguisher and told me to get a pair of scissors. There was a cable tie locking the pin of the extinguisher. After snipping the lock, I quickly made a frantic call to the lobby, which was answered after 5 rings, told them there was a fire, and hung up.

My husband was still trying to put out the fire. To give him as much oxygen as possible, I opened the windows, the fans, and the door. I turned on all 3 exhaust fans. The smoke was still too much. I couldn’t breathe. I knew right there and then why people die of smoke suffocation.

In between, I was trying to get the dog to get out from under the bed. But he was frightened and continued creeping back in. Finally I was able to grab him and let him out in the hall.

When the building administration arrived, the fire was gone. They were able to determine the source of the fire: a rechargeable flashlight I got as a gift from two Christmases ago. I decided to charge it for the first time, and that decision would probably haunt me for a long time.

I still wonder why it took so long for the receptionist downstairs to answer the phone. Or why the smoke detector didn’t go off. Or why the sprinklers didn’t work. That’s something I would probably ask our building administration in the next few days. Maybe the fire wasn’t strong enough? It sure was enough to practically suffocate us. So I’m not very happy about that.

I’m thankful, however, for the decisions we made when the unit was still being finished: the fire-proofing, from the paint, to the type of wood, to the floors. I’m also thankful that we rarely have generic china-made gadgets, and have invested in a kick ass fire extinguisher.

Most of all, I’m thankful for having a husband who didn’t think twice on being our protector. He was and always will be my hero.

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

The doctor had a long talk with me last Thursday. To sum it up, he said I need to change my career.

There are two major enemies of lupus: stress and sun. Sun, obviously, is easier to control.

I still don’t know how to react to this. A part of me got confused because I think I actually felt more stressed whenever I couldn’t work.

Maybe there’s a way for me to reduce stress while still doing the things I love most?

Lessen meetings? Meetings are one of the most stressful activities in the office, and they happen every single day, sometimes even every single hour.

Take up yoga?

Strictly work for 8 hours a day? We usually work 10 to 12 hours a day. Not that I’m complaining. It’s just the way it is in the company.

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

The fever started Wednesday. By Thursday, I had to leave for Boracay, something I have been dreading since I never liked the beach, the sand, nor the sun. I pretty much stayed put in the hotel until Friday because of my fever, which I tried to relieve with rest & paracetamol. By Saturday, my fever was gone, although I still had joint pains which lasted until Sunday.

I was back to work on Monday and was actually quite energetic.

On Tuesday, at around 10AM, I asked one of my teammates for water. I already felt something funny happening in my body. The water never arrived, and my chest started tightening. I haven’t had an asthma attack in almost 5 years, so this was quite unusual.

Barely 10 minutes later, I couldn’t take it anymore. I felt I needed a Ventolin puff. I left the meeting, hurried to the clinic and plopped on the sofa. The receptionist saw my white face and didn’t bother to make me fill up any form. She quickly pulled me to the doctor’s office.

I mumbled “Ventolin, can’t breathe.” But barely a minute after the words were out of my mouth, my body started shaking. I felt cold.

I could feel my muscles & joints becoming painful real fast. I couldn’t move.

I could hear people scrambling around me. I closed my eyes, and concentrated on relaxing my body so I could control the chills. People were starting to arrive, panicking – my husband, our secretary, my brother, etc.

I felt myself being carried & placed on a stretcher. I could hear commotion on which car would bring me to the hospital, about the 5F parking doors being locked, etc.

The company doctor insisted on coming along. I mumbled “no.” I knew she was pregnant. But she was strong willed. Loyda, the nurse of SMART who has always been there for us, also came along.

Before I knew it, I was already in the ER of Makati Medical Center, but things move slowly. Too slowly.

There were a lot of questions, forms, staring, fumbling. I was begging for pain killers. It was unbearable. For the first time, I wished I could die. It was *that* painful.

They said they can’t give me anything. They first need to know that I wasn’t pregnant. Was I sure I wasn’t? Last time I checked, I didn’t come with a built-in pregancy kit in my body. Of course I’m *not* sure.

The nurses would check up on me every 30 minutes to ask if I already urinated. I couldn’t, and I didn’t know why. I was drinking *a lot* of water. Why the hell was I not urinating? Was this dehydration?

After more than an hour, I snapped, said something probably mean, because they finally gave me some meds. They said I was wheeled to xray later on, but have no memory about it.

I knew there was a lot waiting, maybe 3 to 5 hours. Something about a room not being available. It was all so weird. A room?

Finally, I was in a private room, and gone are inefficiencies of the ER. I was suddenly surrouned by 10 to 15 doctors, all screaming my lab test results, debating over my body.

My husband asked if I was going to make it. Noone answered.

I was injected with more morphine. I heared the words stroke, heart attack, blood clot, my kidneys failing, my organs shutting down.

I was strangely calm. I was looking at my doctors faces. I knew they were going to save me.

“Lupus!” Someone shouted. They knew what to do.

I was immediately transferred to the ICU. I don’t remember a lot of things about my stay there. I knew there were a lot of tubes. There was even a tube sewn in and out of my stomach. I remembered going thru dialysis, and a lot more painful things. I also remember a lot of vomiting, and not being able to eat more than a spoonful of broth.

Only family members were allowed, and even then, they were to wear a mask at all times and to take a pill before entering my room. My brothers knew the drill – my mom is not to know anything until we were sure I was going to be okay.

On my 4th or 5th day in the ICU, I could tell I was feeling better. I gave the go signal for my brothers to tell my mom (who practically ran to the hospital as soon as she found out).

It is now Day 16. I am already in a regular room, and have been allowed to accept a few visitors. There are still a barage of tests, ultrasounds, and biopsies. But I am feeling a lot better.

My kidneys, sadly, have already been damaged. There will be maintenance meds, lifestyle changes, avoiding the sun, maybe even chemotherapy. As of the moment, only bits & pieces of information are available.

But one thing’s for sure: It does feel great to be alive.

To my family, my dearest friends, former & current officemates, classmates, colleagues, online friends: Thank you for all your healing thoughts & prayers. I couldn’t have made it without you.

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

Kikay-wise, one of the best things I probably ever did was to stop all hair straightening treatments.

I inherited thick and curly hair from my mother side of the family. During my teen years, it became unruly, and the curls just seem to get tighter and tigher. Thus, as with my other cousins, I would religiously straighten my hair every 4 to 6 months. Rebond, relax, straight … you name it, I’ve done it.

And it wasn’t just a 5-year thing – I did it for more than a decade. I even forgot know how curly/straight my real hair actually was, because I would go to the salon the moment I see a hint of curl at my roots.

The eyeopener came in 2011 when my then-boyfriend said in passing “Your hair pricks my face sometimes.”

It hit close to home. I knew how “hard” my hair felt like, because even I felt it on my neck. It also took handfuls of conditioner just to soften it, and yet it still wasn’t enough.

I knew what to do. I had to outgrow all these heavily treated hair.

It was time to embrace my curls.

And so I immediately stopped all hair-straightening treatments. And, like what I usually do when I embark on a change, I browsed thru Amazon and I got myself a copy of the book Curly Girl: The Handbook.

The book told me that curly hair can be beautiful. It had pictures of all these girls with beautiful curly hair, and I knew there was hope.

It also contained tips on how to care for my naturally curly hair:

  • Don’t use the heat setting on the blow dryer
  • Don’t brush your hair. Just use your fingers (I don’t follow this to the letter. I still use a wide tooth comb, but sparingly.)
  • Get regular trims to make my hair “breathe”
  • Use hair products that don’t have alcohol, silicone, or sulfate (I used to follow this to the letter. Although now I’m wondering how sustainable this is, given the limited options here in the Philippines).

By the end of 2012, my hair was officially “virgin.” And it was amazing. My hair was soft, bouncy, and shiny. And for the first time in my life, I receive compliments about my hair.

My only regret is not doing this sooner. It would’ve saved me a lot of time and money, not to mention self-esteem.

And oh, I love my curls :)

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

Prior to using Asana, the team have gone thru Basecamp, ActiveCollab, and GoPlan. We’ve been changing task/project-management systems so much that we just got used to it. At the back of my mind, I welcomed it, because it allowed me to start from zero and review tasks that are still worth pursuing.

Asana, however, was the longest one we’ve ever used. We’ve been using it for more than 6 months, I believe. We loved its email integration – just send/forward an email to a specific address, and it will automatically be created as a task, and include the email attachments. And since we work in a company heavily reliant on email, this was a big plus.

Asana was also very fast. I can see almost in real-time what tasks were updated by others. We also love, although never really maximized the potential, of its integration with Dropbox.

We’ve always wanted to upgrade, especially since we know we need about 50++ users, but there was something about Asana that was just never right.

  • The user interface was just very overwhelming. This was our biggest problem. Our team simply hated using it. We have more than 50 projects and lot of tasks under each project. We have done everything to make it look simpler (dummy projects and dummy tasks to segregate), but we just couldn’t make it work.
  • Tasks lists interface is too linear. It was a pain grouping them together, the groupings are not too distinct, and the tasks at the bottom always end up being neglected.
  • Calendar is not integrated within the UI. In order to to view the tasks in calendar form, we need to integrate with 3rd party calendars. We need to do this for every single new project that comes along. And that is a lot.
  • We were happy when they implemented subtask, but they made it too complicated. The subtasks were not even assigned to the parent project automatically. Each subtasks were treated independent of their container project.
  • Asana was great in reminding us of our tasks, but it does not aid us in planning them. Everything just looks too cluttered.

As more of our team started adopting Asana (we already maximized the free allocation of 30 users), we knew it was time to upgrade. But do we stick with Asana, or go with something else?

Our requirements were:

  • 50 to 75 users with a maximum budget of $300/month
  • Calendar view of tasks
  • Ability to create tasks and attach files via email
  • A user-interface we can work with in all stages of our process – brainstorming, strategizing, planning, and executing.

Initially, Asana was still on the list. We’ve  been using it for such a long time, and I was secretly trying to find a reason to stick with it. I wanted proof that the things we needed were at least planned, and that all we had to do was wait.

But I couldn’t find those reasons anywhere. Not even in their monthly newsletter when they mention their roadmap. The only things I saw were words like memory retrieval, workflow, big teams, growth, etc.

After a week of researching the likes of, Mavenlink, PivotalTracker, Producteev, Teambox, Teamly, Trello, and Wrike, we shortlisted it to two: Teambox and Trello.

You could tell how I discovered and fell immediately in love with the vertical view of tasks. It was being used by Teambox & Trello as a kanban system, but I knew we could use it to segregate subprojects. And that was a big thing for us, as we have a lot of adhoc one-week projects that suddely come up.

We almost went with Trello. We fell in love with its simplicity, speed, and their mobile apps. The deal breaker was not being able to mark anything as resolved — it forces us to use it as kanban instead.

Teambox was the sweet spot. It’s not perfect though. They have a big problem with speed, I don’t like the fact that you can’t create private projects that absolutely noone can see, and we really need subtasks support. But I like the capability to switch views of tasks (vertical/horizontal) and the integrated calendar & gantt chart.

Weirdly enough, what finally sealed the deal was their Help site. I was able to find out what exact feature they have included in their roadmap. Nothing vague. Only specifics.

I hope & I pray that we will be sticking with Teambox for a long time. Will let you guys know.

Posted by & filed under Uncategorized.

I have worked with someone who, without fail, will always make it a point to say no or contradict something – anything – at every single meeting. Without exaggeration, I’ve never had a conversation with her when she didn’t — even at the most trivial issues.

It gets crazier: Sometimes she will contradict facts or practices already known to mankind, and when corrected, will make up an excuse on why her contradiction is valid. It has gotten so bad that (s)he has been labeled as a a power-tripper, a bitch, a know-it-all. Across the entire company. And that’s saying a lot.

Her team would usually agree to everything she says (to avoid a debate), do things without question even if they know it is the wrong way of doing it, avoid her at all cost, or withhold information that has the slightest chance of being questioned.

Is she a power-tripper? Maybe, maybe not. I don’t think it’s fair to put a label on these kinds of personalities. But I have encountered others like her who believe that contradiction goes hand-in-hand with leadership. Meaning, they feel they have to say no in order to exert their authority. More often than not, they are the my-way-or-the-highway kind, have no problems with confrontations, do not believe in the expertise of others, and most of all, must always be right.

How then do you persuade these kinds of people?

You need to make them appear that a decision is good for them.

You could also make it appear that what you’re discussing with them is their idea all along. Sometimes all you have to do is changing the words you use in explaining a situation.

Remember, the important thing for her is that she needs to right. You need to make her believe it, at the very least.